At Advocacy Focus and we are commencing a contract in the Trafford area from 1st April in regards to delivering advocacy across Trafford – our new office will be located on Chester Road. This will create several volunteering opportunities for the residents of Trafford. Roles will include running drop-ins on mental health wards, supporting people to make complaints against the NHS and Social Care, accompanying paid Advocates on home visits as a second person and supporting us to run community/self-help groups.
Responsible to: Volunteer Manager
Main Purpose: To support individuals with Health and Social Care issues by drawing on personal experience of situations or environments e.g. ill mental health, disabilities and/or caring for others.
Our Mission: To provide high quality advocacy for all.
To co-facilitate forums and feedback groups both on mental health wards and in the community by listening, taking notes and encouraging others to speak and share their experience.
To consult service users around Health and Social Care systems and services, representing their views to obtain or improve the support available to them.
To help raise awareness of Health and Social care issues, addressing stigma and promoting positive action through self-advocacy, self-help and other alternative forms of support.
To support us with coproducing our service e.g. sitting on our interview panels.
To support the service to raise funds to further develop the charity.
To provide reception facilities for the organisation including answering the phone, dealing with enquiries, collecting service feedback and ensuring messages/referrals are dealt with appropriately.
To retain records in line with Advocacy Focus’ procedures for monitoring, inclusive of volunteer timesheets and expenses.
To attend regular supervisions with the Volunteer Manager.
To attend necessary internal and external training sourced and provided by Advocacy Focus.
To work within Advocacy Focus’ volunteer policies and procedures, including Data Protection and Safeguarding.
Personal Qualities Required
- A commitment of 3-4 hours per week for a minimum period of 6 months
- Personal experience of ill mental health, a disability and/or caring responsibilities.
- Willingness to share experiences and assist people in exploring alternatives ways to get support
- Passionate about bringing change for people faced with Health or Social Care challenges
- Reliable and able to manage own time
- Able to listen and maintain confidentiality
- A smart appearance
- Will respect individual’s cultural, religious and ethnic backgrounds.
- Non-judgemental and sensitive to other people’s views