Carers Trust has been funded by the Department of Health and Social Care to deliver train the trainer-style workshops for local partners to increase their knowledge and understanding of young carers and the issues they may face. This will help more of us to identify and support young carers – whether we are a commissioner of services or work within a health care setting, teacher, member of a faith group, community leader and/or work with or have regular contact with young people.
The events will be delivered by Carers Trust Network Partner members, on behalf of Carers Trust. These events will be delivered by Carers Bucks, Northamptonshire Carers, Sunderland Carers Centre and Carers Support Centre Bristol and South Gloucestershire.
These are free events. Lunch, refreshments, and materials will be provided, including online access to downloadable materials (sent after the events). Delegates need to meet their own accommodation and travel costs.
You are eligible to attend this event if:
- Your organisation works in England and
- You will cascade the training you have received to your organisation / sector / group / team / local authority / NHS Trust / GP practice / community group / faith group. It would be helpful if those attending have the support of their organisation to engage in this work.
We may need to limit places to one or two members of staff per organisation, and/or balance numbers from different sectors at each event. There are eight events being held across England.
At this event, you will learn:
- Who are young carers.
- How you can help identify children who may be young carers.
- What sort of caring they may do, and how caring impacts on the lives of young carers.
- How to recognise and handle safeguarding and confidentiality issues in relation to young carers.
- How to approach a conversation with a child or parent in an appropriate and sensitive way.
- What the barriers may be to young carers and their families seeking support.
- Guidance and advice on identifying key local stakeholders to involve and how to engage with them.
- Where to find local support and services to support young carers and their families.
- Where to find other resources to help support work with young carers.
- How you can use these resources to engage your organisation/community/group.
- How to go about setting up local projects to oversee and co-ordinate work with young carers.
If you wish to attend one of the events listed, please click on the event you wish to attend and fill in the details as requested:
Manchester workshop, 26 February 2018
Bristol workshop, 28 February 2018
Durham workshop, 5 March 2018
Peterborough workshop, 7 March 2018
Birmingham workshop, 8 March 2018
If you would be interested in attending a workshop in London and did not attend the workshop on the 19 February, please email email@example.com to let us know.
We will be organising new events in place of the postponed events in Exeter on the 20 February and York on the 21 February. If you would be interested in attending an event in the South of England, or Yorkshire, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know when and where these have been organised for.